Recently, India has passed a full-fleged Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016. This act provides a number of benefits to the disabled people. However, in order to receive these benefits you would need to get a Disability Certificate from a designated government hospital. In this article, we will discuss the process of applying for a Disability Certificate. We will also present an updated list of hospitals where you can apply for such a certificate.
A Disability Certificate (which people often refer to as Handicap Certificate) is a document issued by the competent authority in India and it certifies the type and degree of the disability that a person is affected with.
Who can Apply for Disability Certificate?
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India has laid down certain conditions for a person to be considered as disabled. Following are some of the conditions that must be fulfilled:
- The person has to be an Indian citizen
- Extent of disability
- Person must have minimum 35% mentally handicapped or disability
- Person must have an orthopedic disability of minimum 40%
- In case of deaf people the disability percentage must be between 90 db & 100 db
- Visual impairment has to be more than 90%
How to Obtain Disability Certificate
First of all, you would need to visit a local government health center and get yourself examined. The person with disability will have to personally present at the local health center. Doctors in that center then refers you to the appropriate hospital where disability certificate can be issued.
Then the person with disability has to be personally visit the said hospital and be present in front of the Medical Board for disability evaluation. You can visit any of the hospitals listed in the next section for getting yourself evaluated and apply for a disability certificate. In case the person with disability can not be personally present in the hospital, a parent/guardian can approach the medical board and discuss the case to see what other arrangement could be made for disability evaluation.
You should carry the following documents while going for evaluation or for applying for disability certificate:
- Referral paper from the local health center
- Two recent colored personal photos of the person with disability
- Copy of the I.D. proof (Aadhar Card is best)
- Copy of the address proof (Aadhar Card is best)
- Copies of available medical reports
- Copy of the previous Disability Certificate (in case it is being renewed)
If possible, it is advisable to speak with the hospital you’re planning to visit about what documents are required for the issuance of disability certificate.
You should keep the referral slip safe as you will need on every visit to the hospital. Medical board is constituted by five doctors. It is not uncommon that one or more doctors will not be present in the hospital. In such a case the evaluation will not take place and you may have to return home with a next date in hand.
When full board will meet and your disability will be evaluated — you will be given another date when you can again go to the hospital and collect your disability certificate.
Degree of disability is indicated by percentage. Higher the impact of the disability — higher would be the disability percentage.
Hospitals That Can Issues Disability Certificates
Medical Boards constituted by state governments have been given the status of Certifying Authorities. These Medical Boards are usually present in various government hospitals. Following is the list of such hospitals where you can go and apply for disability certificates:
- Physical Disability
- Lok Nayak Hospital
- Aruna Asaf Ali Government Hospital
- Hindu Rao Hospital & Satyawadi Raja Harish Chandra Hospital (for rural area)
- Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital
- Pt.Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital
- Guru Govind Singh Hospital
- Deen Dayal Upadhay Hospital & Rao Tula Ram Memorial Hospital (rural area)
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital
- Baba Sahib Ambedkar Hospital
- Sanjay Gandhi Hospital
- Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital
- Hedgewar Arogaya Sansthan
- Safdarjung Hospital
- Lady Harding Hospital
- Mental Disability
- Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IBHAS): G.T.B, Hospital Road, Dilshad Garden, New Delhi, Delhi 110095
- Physical as well as Mental Disabilities
- Physical Disabilities
- All India Institute for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AIIPMR), Haji Ali
- Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital, Rajbansi Nagar
Do you already have a disability certificate? If yes, please let us know which hospitals in your city make these certificates. Also if you can provide tips to for the benefit for other people, please mention them too! Thank you!
Latest posts by Lalit Kumar (see all)
- Wheelchair of Stephen Hawking: Interesting Facts - May 22, 2017
- Hospitals and Process for Applying for Disability Certificates - May 17, 2017
- What is Unique Disability ID (U.D.I.D.) Card? - May 16, 2017