Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India issues a Unique Disability ID (U.D.I.D.) to every disabled person in India. Unique Disability ID uniquely identifies the disabled person. The department is creating a national database of persons with disabilities. This database will be based on U.D.I.D. This U.D.I.D. database is being created under the Swavlamban Yojna.
U.D.I.D. will be issued in the form of a U.D.I.D. Card.
What are the Benefits of U.D.I.D. Card?
So far the various state governments have been issuing disability certificates to disabled people so that they can avail of the benefits provided but the government. There has not been a defined form of disability certificate. Different states provided different types of certificates and each state kept its own record of certificates issued by it. Mostly such records were kept in paper form or in incompatible computer systems. As a result it was difficult to access, share or collate such information.
Now the central government is developing a pan-India database of persons with disabilities. Benefits of U.D.I.D. include:
- Now there will not be any need of separate and mutually incompatible records of disabled people in various states.
- Information will be quickly accessible anywhere in India. Information could also be updated easily from anywhere.
- Benefits, facilities and rights provided by the government will be more effective delivered to the persons with disabilities (P.w.Ds).
- There will be more transparency in the functioning of government schemes related to P.w.Ds. This will help in reducing corruption and misuse.
- A person with disabilities will not need to maintain and carry multiple documents. U.D.I.D. Card will have all the important information about the person. A U.D.I.D Card reader will be used everywhere to quickly read the information from the card.
- With U.D.I.D. Card, it will become possible to track the physical and financial progress of the holder at various levels (like village, district, state level)
The U.D.I.D. will certainly be a boon to the persons with disabilities in India. In this era of information, it is important that information is accessed quickly and easily. U.D.I.D. will make it possible.
We encourage our readers to share their views on U.D.I.D. and also their experiences with the new card.
Latest posts by Lalit Kumar (see all)
- Wheelchair of Stephen Hawking: Interesting Facts - May 22, 2017
- Hospitals and Process for Applying for Disability Certificates - May 17, 2017
- What is Unique Disability ID (U.D.I.D.) Card? - May 16, 2017