ADIP is the abbreviation of Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/Fitting of Aids/ Appliances. This scheme from the Government of India aims at providing grant-in-aid to assist Persons with Disabilities in procuring disability aids. The vision behind the scheme is to make persons with disabilities more independent and live a dignified life. Here we are providing important details about the scheme to help anyone who might need this information.
Objective of the ADIP Scheme
The main objective of the ADIP Scheme is to extend a helping hand in form of grant-in-aid to government and non-government agencies so that they can assist disabled people who are in need of an assistive device or appliance. The fund is granted for a disabled person to procure durable, scientifically manufactured modern disability aids. The scheme also proposes the conduct of corrective surgeries before providing the assistive aid, if required. The aids and appliances procured under the scheme are duly certified.
Activities Eligible to be Funded under ADIP Scheme
The funds of the ADIP Scheme can be utilized in different manners by the eligible agencies (National Institutes, Composite Regional Centres, ALIMCO, State Handicapped Development Corporations, District Disability Rehabilitation Centres, NGOs and other local bodies). The activities are broadly classified into three groups.
- ADIP-SSA Camps – Disabled children below 14 years of age who are attending school under Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) are provided assistive aids as per their requirement. The funds can be granted under the ADIP scheme to distribute aids to such school-going children.
- Camps Activities – Any eligible institute can organize camps for distributing assistive aids to needy disabled people. Funds can be granted under ADIP Scheme for such camp activities.
- Headquarter Activities – These include providing assistance to an individual who approaches the institutes or the respective regional center. An eligible institute can also get funds for carrying out OPD activities and undertaking corrective surgeries for Persons with Disabilities.
[Note: Implementing Agencies are allowed to use 5% of the grant-in-aid as overhead expenses for conducting awareness, assessment and follow-up camps]
Eligibility for Getting Aid under ADIP Scheme
- Applicant must have a disability certificate of 40% or above
- Monthly income from all sources must not exceed INR 15,000 per month for 100% concession and must not exceed 20,000 per month for 50% concession
- A new grant for an assistive device can be taken only after 3 years for the same purpose. However, for children below 12 years assistance can be taken after 1 year.
Cost Ceiling for Assistive Devices
- The aids and appliances granted under the scheme cannot exceed INR 10,000.
- In case the applicant is a student beyond class 9th, the upper limit is INR 12,000.
- If a person requires more than one assistive device due to multiple disabilities, the cost ceiling will be applicable separately for each device.
Disability Categories Eligible under ADIP Scheme
- Visually Impairment
- Leprosy Affected
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Hearing Impaired
- Orthopedically Impaired
ADIP Cochlear Implant
Cochlear implants need special mention under ADIP Scheme because the government targets to provide the implant for 500 children each year with a ceiling of INR 6 lakhs per unit. A cochlear implant will result in providing lifelong relief to children with hearing impairment between the age group of 0-5 years.
Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Mumbai, is the nodal institute for a cochlear implant under ADIP. The applicant for a cochlear implant needs to contact AYJNIHH. The surgery will be done at government-approved hospitals, which are currently 140 in number. The implant shall be procured by the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO).
For any further details, one can visit the website of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities or the Divyang Sarathi mobile application.
Use the citation below to add this article to your bibliography
"ADIP Scheme: Meaning and Eligibility for Disability Aid Categories." Wecapable.com. Web. December 2, 2023. <https://wecapable.com/adip-scheme-meaning-and-eligibility-for-disability-aid-categories/>
Wecapable.com, "ADIP Scheme: Meaning and Eligibility for Disability Aid Categories." Accessed December 2, 2023. https://wecapable.com/adip-scheme-meaning-and-eligibility-for-disability-aid-categories/
"ADIP Scheme: Meaning and Eligibility for Disability Aid Categories." (n.d.). Wecapable.com. Retrieved December 2, 2023 from https://wecapable.com/adip-scheme-meaning-and-eligibility-for-disability-aid-categories/