After bringing the Rights of Persons with Disability Bill 2016, the Government of India has launched another important project for the welfare of disabled persons in India. Unique Disability ID Card (UDID Card) is being issued to all the disabled persons. This card comes with a number of benefits. Today, we will discuss these advantages in detail.
Benefits Attached to the Unique Disability ID Card (UDID Card)
- Application for UDID card can be submitted online. So, it will make life easier for PWDs.
- The UDID Card holder will no longer need to carry lengthy documents as proof of her disability. UDID Card will be acceptable everywhere to prove one’s disability condition.
- “At present the disability certificates of one state are not recognized in the other. The universal cards would help the differently-abled tide over these problems that they face at railway counters or even to avail any benefit at educational institutions. The card would have a unique number which if fed on the website would help an authority access all details.”, said Shri Awanish Kumar Awasthi, Joint Secretary (DePwD).
- The card will be of standard credit card size. It will easily fit in one’s wallet.
- UDID Card will have all the relevant details related with the person and her disability. This information can be easily read with a card reader device.
- Real time data about the disabled persons will be available to the government to act upon.
- Disability related data will not get duplicated as the computer system can ensure uniqueness of all the data related with disabled individuals.
- System can be easily upgraded if more disability conditions get recognized by the government.
- It would be easy to identify the extent of person’s disability. A person with less than 40% disability would have a card with a white stripe, 40 to 80% would have a card with yellow stripe and above 80% card with a blue stripe.
- UDID Card will help government to track a number of aspects. For example:
- Whether benefits of welfare schemes are reaching to the disabled persons.
- How the beneficiaries are getting benefited.
- If schemes are contributing to the progress of UDID card holders etc.
Questions from Readers
Can the UDID Card be used for bus travel?
There is no clarity on this at present. We think that disabled people will have to get the bus passes made as usual. But while applying for the bus pass, UDID Card could be used as proof of disability.
Please share more information on this topic. We will publish the shared information in the article along with your name. By sharing information, we make other people’s life easier. Thank you for using WeCapable!