Join me on Twitter

Section 80U: Income Tax Exemption for Disabled Persons

Income Tax, Insurance, Financial Planning, pension, loan for persons with disabilities
Samyak Lalit
Samyak Lalit | June 9, 2018 (Last update: September 25, 2019)

Samyak Lalit is an author and disability rights activist. He is a polio survivor and the founder of projects like Kavita Kosh, Gadya Kosh, TechWelkin, WeCapable, Dashamlav and Viklangta Dot Com. Website:

The time of filing income tax has arrived! Persons with disabilities in India are entitled for deduction in income tax under Section 80U of the Income Tax Act. Moreover individuals are allowed the get tax benefit under Section 80DD for taking care of a disabled dependent. In this article we will talk about how to avail these tax benefits.

Income Tax Benefit for Persons with Disabilities

Government recognizes the fact that the persons with disabilities have to work harder in order to earn the same amount of income. Also, a person with disability may need to spend additional amount on aids, medicines and other kinds of treatment. In order to set off these costs the government allows income tax rebate to the persons with disabilities.


A person who has a disability certificate issued by the Chief District Medical Officer or a board constituted by a government hospital would be considered eligible for tax benefit under Section 80U.

Income Tax, Insurance, Financial Planning for persons with disabilities

For neurological disabilities a neurologist with an MD in Neurology can issue the disability certificate. In case of children, a paediatric neurologist having an equivalent degree would need to certify.

In case you have Unique Disability ID card,  you can also use this card as a document to prove your disabling condition.

Deductions Allowed under Section 80U

  • If you have disability between 40% to 79%, you will be allowed a deduction of Rs. 75,000
  • If you have 80% or above disability, the deduction amount is Rs. 1,25,000

What Types of Disabilities are Covered under Section 80U

The RPWD Act 2016 is now in force. In this Act, the number of recognized types of disabilities has been been increased to 21.

  • Victims of acid attacks have been included in the list of persons with disabilities. Unfortunately, in India, acid attacks have been on the rise in last few years. Girls and women are often left severely disfigured/disabled due to such attacks.
  • Dwarfism and Muscular Dystrophy have also been included as separate categories of disability.
  • Three blood disorders, Thalassemia, Hemophilia and Sickle Cell disease, have been included in the list of disabilities.

Documents Required for Claiming Tax Benefit under Section 80U

All you need is a valid disability certificate or UDID Card.

At the time of filing ITR, you do not need to submit disability certificate or any other specific document for claiming disability tax benefits. In your ITR, you can simply fill-in the deduction amount you are eligible for.

If the tax authorities would want to verify your claim under Section 80U, they will contact and ask you to submit disability certificate. At that time you would need to furnish a copy of the valid disability certificate.

If you have any questions on this subject please feel free to ask in the comments section. We will try our best to assist you. Thank you for connecting with WeCapable!

Use the citation below to add this article to your bibliography

"Section 80U: Income Tax Exemption for Disabled Persons." Web. July 13, 2024. <>, "Section 80U: Income Tax Exemption for Disabled Persons." Accessed July 13, 2024.

"Section 80U: Income Tax Exemption for Disabled Persons." (n.d.). Retrieved July 13, 2024 from


8 responses to “Section 80U: Income Tax Exemption for Disabled Persons”


    Dear Sir,

    Your are doing great job for diabled persons like us.
    I am Sickle Cell Patient with certificate holder issued by UDID. Currently working in Reserve Bank of India
    Thanking you for providing valuable information.

  2. Avatar Suresh says:

    Hey Lalit,
    I have polio in my left leg and cant move my left leg. I can move my right leg a bit. I can drive an automatic car and I walk with two crutches. Am I eligible for Income Tax exemption

  3. Avatar Pavan BS says:

    Dear Sir,
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    I have a doubt regarding claiming a disabled dependent under section 80DD.
    My question is can I claim my unmarried uncle with Mental retard who is completely my dependent. I have a UDID issued by authority (90% disability).
    What are additional requirements ?
    Will he be my dependent in Taxation terminologies ?

  4. Avatar Abhijeet Narayan Phakatkar says:

    I found your article very helpful.
    I have a question.
    I recently lost 2 of my right foot fingers and the foot is damaged to the extent that ol need customised shoes to be able to walk.
    My question is what category of disablement do i fall under?

  5. Avatar Venkat says:

    My CA is asking to procure Form 10-IA ( from Govt Hospital Chief Doctor ) – Is this from required apart from Government issued Disability Certificate and UDID.

    I have Locomotor disability 60%

    Please advise.

    • Lalit Kumar Lalit Kumar says:

      Hello Venkat, unfortunately it is true that the Income Tax department has come up with this new form 10-IA to be submitted if you seek exemption under Section 80U. We don’t understand what is the use of UDID card if every department will ask for a separate certificate. I am not going to submit form 10-IA and instead I will submit by UDID certificate.

  6. Avatar sanjay says:

    Dear sir, myself and my wife are suffering from ‘Sickle Cell Trait’. Is this condition be called a disease and liable for claiming of Income Tax benefits?

  7. Avatar Rahul says:

    Respected sir, Is there any GR or circular mentioning that, deduction allow for sickle cell anemia disease under section 80u.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *